Ex-Norwich City midfielder Andrew Crofts suffers season-ending knee injury
- Credit: Focus Images
Former Norwich City midfielder Andrew Crofts will miss the rest of the Championship season after undergoing surgery on a second serious knee injury inside the past year.
The 30-year-old had surgery on Wednesday after scans confirmed a partial tear to his anterior cruciate ligament and a tear to the meniscus suffered in last weekend's 1-1 league draw at Watford.
Crofts was in line to face the Canaries next month for the first time since making 68 league appearances during a two-year stint at Carrow Road, but the Welsh international must now embark on another lengthy period of rehabilitation.
'We are all devastated for Crofty,' said Seagulls' boss Sami Hyypia. 'He is an important member of our squad and worked incredibly hard to get back to full fitness after last season's knee injury. Crofty is a very strong character and he will continue to receive the best possible care and treatment from our medical staff throughout his rehabilitation. In the meantime, everyone at the club wishes Crofty well for a full and speedy recovery.'
A ruptured cruciate ligament in his right knee ruled Crofts out of the second part of last season but Crofts had forced his way back in the Brighton line up this campaign and was rewarded with a one-year contract extension keeping him at the Amex Stadium until the summer of 2016.
Crofts admitted last month after signing a new deal he was determined to make up for lost time.
'To get rewarded with the extra year is a massive boost for me,' he said. 'I had a few options to go elsewhere after leaving Norwich (in 2012) but I always wanted to come back here. For the club to reward my loyalty is a big thing as well. The last seven and a half months have been a tough time but before that things were going really well. I've worked hard to come back to get back out on the pitch. I was flying before the injury and hopefully I'll be getting back to that form as quick as I can.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 5 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 9 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 10 Flood alerts pass off peacefully along the north Norfolk coast