Ex-Canary Shackell joins Barnsley
Barnsley have signed former Norwich City defender Jason Shackell from Wolves on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee.Shackell has spent the past season on loan at Championship rivals Doncaster, making 23 appearances during his time at the Keepmoat Stadium.
Barnsley have signed former Norwich City defender Jason Shackell from Wolves on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee.
Shackell has spent the past season on loan at Championship rivals Doncaster, making 23 appearances during his time at the Keepmoat Stadium.
He had not featured for Wolves since January last year, spending the second half of the 2008-09 campaign on loan to the Canaries, and has now secured a permanent move away from Molineux.
The 26-year-old, who has not played since February, admits Barnsley manager Mark Robins was a major factor in his decision to accept a deal at Oakwell.
'I am delighted to be here,' Shackell told the club's official website. 'I feel that this is the right place to be at this stage of my career.
'I met with Mark Robins and he is really ambitious and wants to push on with Barnsley.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 3 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 4 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 5 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 6 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 7 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 8 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
'He was keen to get me in and his enthusiasm, ambition and drive really made this feel like the right place for me.
'I am ambitious. I want to be pushing on in my career and I feel this is the right place to do that.'
Former Norwich striker Robins added: 'I am delighted to have signed Jason. He has proved himself to be a more than capable Championship player and is a leader on the pitch.'
Shackell made 145 appearances for City in his two spells, scoring twice.