Eat, Sleep, Drink Norwich City: Vrancic looks the real deal but defence is still a concern
- Credit: Archant
Personally, I think we're doing a good job of rebuilding a squad that, until now, had more dead wood floating around in it than Sable Island.
It is good to get out those high earners who really weren't doing much although I felt for Sebastien Bassong after reading his letter to the fans.
I was incredibly disappointed by the whole Jonny Howson saga but am not going to say much more on that!
Out of the new players in, I feel as though Mario Vrancic could be a key player this coming season (sweet left foot) and also hear good things about Harrison Reed.
We seem to be back tracking a little bit in terms of players we're bringing in. Okay, so we don't know a lot about some of them but I am mildly concerned that it will take them some time to acclimatise to the Championship given that they've not played in it before. Having said that, I appreciate that we need to reserve funds. We do have a nucleus of very good players currently and I hope that Daniel Farke can get the best out of them. It really hinges on sorting our leaky defence out. Hopefully we squeeze into the play-offs. I like the idea of bringing young, hungry players in but the real key to this will be if they can pick up the style of play that Farke wants to employ. Same goes for the current crop… Will they like the new methods etc?
It doesn't really matter what I think, in all reality, it's whether the players want to play for Farke and can adapt to play in the style he wants. I can't help but think all this playing around with the ball at the back will get punished regularly in the Championship (against the better sides). But I enjoy seeing this kind of approach when done properly.
The strong points of our squad are that we still have a Murphy and players like Alex Pritchard, Ivo Pinto and Nelson Oliveira.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot set for submission
- 6 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 7 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 8 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 9 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 10 Stunning drone shots capture high tide in Wells
The weak point is our defence and I don't think it's been significantly improved.
I think the key men will be Pritchard, Oliveira and Vrancic - while a bit lightweight, I feel he has the requisite technical abilities to do well in the English game. Above all I'd like for Carrow Road to get rocking again - definitely no clap banners though! I think it would be good to see Farke pumping up all areas of the ground prior to the game akin to the way things are in Germany.
Ultimately, as we always say, it will come down to performances on the pitch.