Doncaster chairman asks League to postpone Norwich City clash
Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan has asked the Football League to postpone tonight's Championship game with Norwich City.
Ryan told the Yorkshire Post it will be unfair if Rovers have to play without the 14 players who are currently unavailable due to injury.
The Football League says it will leave the decision down to the club but can hit Rovers with a hefty fine if the move is not deemed to be justifiable.
Manager Sean O'Driscoll had 15 senior players at his disposal last weekend – including two goalkeepers – but does have youngsters available who can sit on the bench.
Chairman Ryan said: 'I think it will be grossly unfair on the rest of the league and unfair for us to play Norwich with so many injuries. Against Swansea last weekend, we did not have a single shot on goal. We might as well line-up 11 players on their goalline. The 25,000 people at the game won't mind as long as Norwich win. If our first team was available, we would have a better chance of winning.'
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder Franck Moussa joined Rovers on loan from Leicester City prior to Saturday's defeat at Swansea City and O'Driscoll was again looking to bolster his options last night.
The list of players currently sidelined at the club reads: strikers Billy Sharp, James Hayter and Steve Brooker, midfielders James Coppinger, Martin Woods, Brian Stock, Ryan Mason, Simon Gillett and Ryan Burge, defenders Shelton Martis, Adam Lockwood, James O'Connor, Mustapha Dumbuya, and James Chambers.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 6 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month