Defeat for Norwich City Under-21s at Manchester City
- Credit: JASON DAWSON/JASONPIX
Norwich City Under-21s lost 1-0 at Manchester City in the Barclays U21 Premier League this afternoon.
Bersant Celina scored an excellent free-kick in the 73rd minute for Patrick Vieira's side at the 7,000-capacity academy stadium alongside the Etihad Stadium.
Thierry Ambrose hit the woodwork in both halves of a rain-soaked match for the hosts but Celina's effort made the difference, leaving the young Canaries bottom of the Division One table.
Ben Killip played in goal for Norwich less than 24 hours after helping loan club Lowestoft Town to a 2-2 home draw with Solihull Moors in National League North.
Jamaican international Jamar Loza also started for the visitors, having recently returned from a one-month loan at League Two side Stevenage, where he started two games but failed to find the back of the net.
It was 16-year-old forward Benny Ashley-Seal who went closest for Norwich, being denied by a last-ditch tackle from Kean Bryan early in the second half.
Dmitri Halejko's team return to action on Thursday at Brighton in the last-32 of the U21 Premier League Cup (7pm) at the Amex Stadium.
- 1 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 4 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 5 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 8 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 9 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
- 10 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
Man City U21s: Lawlor, Maffeo, Humphreys, Adarabioyo, Smith-Brown (Horsfield 45), Bryan (C), Garcia (Kongolo 78), Celina, Faupala, Nmecha (Nemane 68), Ambrose. Unused subs: O'Brien, Tattum
Norwich City U21s: Killip (c); Hall-Johnson, Efete, Coker (Wallis 53), Lewis; Grant, McGrandles, Loza; Eaton-Collins (Middleton 74), Ashley-Seal (King 68), Cantwell. Subs not used: Oxborough (GK), Macintosh.