Rumour mill: Canaries’ Liverpool loans? Keeper looks well out of reach, while forward is USA-bound
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Any Norwich City fans looking at Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward as a loan option this season, seem set to have their hopes dashed as Leicester City have a bid accepted – while forward Ben Woodburn is set to travel with the Reds for their USA pre-season tour.
While Canaries academy product Remi Matthews is getting his big chance to impress heading into the new Championship season, the loan gloves of Angus Gunn remain big ones to fill after his temporary City return ended in May.
The 25-year-old Wales international and long-time Liverpool servant had been suggested as a possible Carrow Road arrival by some, having been on loan at Huddersfield Town during their Premier League promotion season as a Stuart Webber recruit.
But now Ward's future is set to lie elsewhere, as Liverpool reportedly agree a £12m fee with 2016 top-flight champions Leicester City for the goalkeeper's services – that coming as the Reds complete their record £68m purchase of Roma stopper Alisson.
Ward's stint as Liverpool's number one was short, following the demotion of German keeper Loris Karius – whose own future remains questionable following his Champions League final nightmare in Kiev two months ago.
Ward is reportedly joining the Foxes as back-up to Denmark international Kasper Schmeichel – although their own title-winning stopper has been linked with Chelsea and Roma, following his efforts in the Premier League and this summer's World Cup in Russia.
City also have experienced Northern Ireland international Michael McGovern and 20-year-old academy keeper Aston Oxborough on the books heading into the new season – although it was England Under-21 Gunn who played all bar one game last season.
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 3 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 4 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 5 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 6 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Man in his 20s dies after hit-and-run
- 8 Crews battle overnight house fire in north Norfolk
- 9 Several roads closed in King's Lynn due to crash and police incident
- 10 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
The 22-year-old joined Southampton from Manchester City earlier this month, for a fee of about £13.5m – and a deal that most likely earned the Canaries £2.5m as a sell-on, following the original tribunal judgement from Gunn's switch to the Etihad as a young academy player seven years ago.
As for another rumoured City loan target, 18-year-old forward Ben Woodburn – who has also been linked with Sheffield United – is set to travel to the USA for the Reds' pre-season tour.
City are believed to be looking for further wide reinforcements before the summer transfer window closes – which for loans is not until Friday, August 31.
Another Liverpool player – Wales winger Harry Wilson – had been earmarked as a potential loan target, but a chase that involved most of the Championship officially ended earlier this week as the 21-year-old joined Derby for the season.
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…