Crossbar thwarts young Canaries as Phillips returns during PL Cup draw
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Anthony Spyrou's goal was enough to halt the losing streak for Norwich City Under-23s during their Premier League Cup tie at Exeter City – where they drew 1-1 but hit the bar four times.
The forward fired the young Canaries ahead in the 22nd minute at the League Two club's St James Park stadium in Devon, cutting in from the left win and blasting a shot from outside the area which found the top-left corner.
It was a fourth goal in 11 games for Spyrou, again without regular strike partner Adam Idah but with Adam Phillips playing the opening hour in midfield having missed the recent five-game losing streak through injury.
Spyrou smashed a shot against the bar soon after and Isak Thorvaldsson forced the Grecians keeper to top one of his shot's onto the woodwork as well but the hosts equalised just before half-time
It was Devonte Aransibia's turn to strike the crossbar for City on the hour mark and Spyrou clipped the bar with a header late header as the Group D clash ended 1-1.
You may also want to watch:
Next up for City's U23s is a Carrow Road clash with Athletic Bilbao U23s next Wednesday night, November 14, as they begin their Premier League International Cup campaign.
Norwich U23s: McCracken, Kamal, Jones, Odusina, Richards, Payne, Philips (Milovanovic 62), Thorvaldsson, Scully (Coley 68), Aransibia, Spyrou Unused subs: Johnson (GK), Lomas
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 8 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace