Contenders lining up for Nathan Redmond’s crown at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is savouring the Norwich City scrap to become Nathan Redmond's heir apparent.
Sergi Canos underlined his credentials with a goalscoring brace in the 6-1 EFL Cup romp against Coventry City, while Jacob Murphy is fit again following his opening day heroics at Blackburn in the Championship.
Add James Maddison and Josh Murphy to the mix and Neil admits he has the fresh talent to fill the void vacated by Redmond's club-record summer sale to Southampton.
'Without doubt lads are putting their hands up,' said Neil. 'What I would say is Nathan Redmond is an excellent player, no question, and he is further ahead in his development than some of the boys we have got. But in terms of Canos and Jacob in particular they have put their hand up and are fighting to take that slot.
'(How close is Sergi to a league start?) Very close. We had to get him up to speed and I still think he has a bit to go, in terms of getting there, but now games will be the way to do that. He is only 19, you have to remember that. He is only a baby and he is potential. He has a goal in him, not just the ones he has played in the first team but behind closed doors and he has scored in nearly every game and he is definitely a threat.'
Neil admitted his EFL Cup troops have given him a selection headache for the upcoming Championship tests.
'It was good for the players and great for the squad,' he said. 'The younger ones who came in did themselves justice and shown they are capable, albeit opposition from a different league. Jacob has done it in the first team in the league, with the opportunities he has had so far, and there is no reason Josh, Sergi Canos and James Maddison can't take the next step.'
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 3 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 4 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 5 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 6 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Man in his 20s dies after hit-and-run
- 8 Several roads closed in King's Lynn due to crash and police incident
- 9 'Genuine shock' after biker killed in town centre hit-and-run
- 10 Crews battle overnight house fire in north Norfolk