Contenders lining up for Nathan Redmond’s crown at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is savouring the Norwich City scrap to become Nathan Redmond's heir apparent.
Sergi Canos underlined his credentials with a goalscoring brace in the 6-1 EFL Cup romp against Coventry City, while Jacob Murphy is fit again following his opening day heroics at Blackburn in the Championship.
Add James Maddison and Josh Murphy to the mix and Neil admits he has the fresh talent to fill the void vacated by Redmond's club-record summer sale to Southampton.
'Without doubt lads are putting their hands up,' said Neil. 'What I would say is Nathan Redmond is an excellent player, no question, and he is further ahead in his development than some of the boys we have got. But in terms of Canos and Jacob in particular they have put their hand up and are fighting to take that slot.
'(How close is Sergi to a league start?) Very close. We had to get him up to speed and I still think he has a bit to go, in terms of getting there, but now games will be the way to do that. He is only 19, you have to remember that. He is only a baby and he is potential. He has a goal in him, not just the ones he has played in the first team but behind closed doors and he has scored in nearly every game and he is definitely a threat.'
You may also want to watch:
Neil admitted his EFL Cup troops have given him a selection headache for the upcoming Championship tests.
'It was good for the players and great for the squad,' he said. 'The younger ones who came in did themselves justice and shown they are capable, albeit opposition from a different league. Jacob has done it in the first team in the league, with the opportunities he has had so far, and there is no reason Josh, Sergi Canos and James Maddison can't take the next step.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit