Conor Hourihane is on Norwich City’s radar
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is a big admirer of Barnsley's attacking midfielder Conor Hourihane as he looks to equip Norwich City for a Championship revival.
Hourihane scored in the Tykes' 2-1 league win at Oakwell prior to Christmas but the 25-year-old is also attracting interest from Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday in the opening salvoes of the January transfer window.
Neil dismissed reports yesterday he had been gazumped by the Owls for Hourihane's Reds' team mate Sam Winnall, but the Scot admits the Barnsley midfielder is on his radar.
Martin Olsson and Robbie Brady continue to be heavily touted with Carrow Road exits this month, as Neil strives to generate funds.
'Is he a player we have looked at? Of course,' said Neil. 'We don't sit here with three players and say there are the targets. There are a whole host of players and moving parts all the time. He is one of a number of players we will get linked with. I have said this, we need to move people out to bring people in. We have a big squad and we will be looking to do business. Apparently we made a bid (for Winnall) but were out-bid on wages. That is nonsense. We didn't make any approach for the player at all.
'If you are going to try and invest a considerable amount of money then you have to make sure you are getting a considerable amount in. That is pretty much the state of play. We are not in any need to sell bodies because we are struggling for money. If we want to do business then we need to move people on. That is the difference.'
Sergi Canos has been linked with Bristol City, Brentford and Leeds in recent days but Neil insists there has been no move for the Spanish youngster.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 3 Met Office to build 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar after winning appeal
- 4 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 5 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
- 6 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 7 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 8 Four-bed home with swimming pool and Mediterranean garden on sale for £595k
- 9 Platform offering stunning views of north Norfolk coast reopens
- 10 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
'Nothing is happening at the moment,' he said. 'Me and Sergi have a good understanding of where we are at this stage. Both of us are happy with the position we are in.'