Colchester deal for Norwich City academy graduate Ben Wyatt
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City academy graduate Ben Wyatt is set for a return to the Football League ranks with League One club Colchester United.
The Norwich-born left-back was part of City's under-18 squad which won the FA Youth Cup in 2013. He was released in 2014 and joined Ipswich Town on a one-year deal but was released last summer.
Wyatt, who started playing for the Canaries as a 10-year-old, subsequently joined Essex side Maldon & Tiptree of the Ryman League North Division – playing against both Dereham and Wroxham last week.
His form at step four of the non-league pyramid has now led to the 20-year-old being offered a one-year development deal at Colchester.
Maldon manager and U's academy coach Steve Ball, speaking to the Colchester Gazette, said: 'He took a step back to come and play for Maldon and Tiptree and this is the carrot for the players we have.
'The stronger the project gets, the more players it will attract and there's the incentive of earning an under-21 contract at Colchester United. People can see someone like Femi Akinwande making his debut for Colchester's first team, having been playing for Maldon only a few months ago.'
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'