‘They’ve lost a kid that’s a genius’ – City’s transfer work to replace Maddison is praised
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have made a 'brilliant' move to replace the 'genius' of James Maddison, according to Championship pundit Ian Holloway.
The former QPR and Millwall manager has been working for the EFL Highlights Show, now being shown on Quest, and has praised the Canaries for the loan signing of Jordan Rhodes.
Holloway believe City signing the striker will help to replace the goal-scoring influence of James Maddison, who was sold to Premier League side Leicester for a deal worth in excess of £20million after a season of 15 goals and 11 assists which saw him named in the EFL team of the season.
'They made a brilliant signing in Jordan Rhodes, they missed a goalscorer last season and that's what he's been brought in to do,' Holloway said.
'They've lost a kid that's a genius in James Maddison and you just can't replace that, the kid is fantastic, a wonderful footballer. I think he should be likened to Dele Alli but in his own style, Dele has been a sensation at Tottenham.
'Was he made there or MK Dons, I think MK Dons and I think Norwich have produced a balance, clever, intelligent footballer and I think the kid will go from strength to strength.
'This is what it's about and well done to Norwich, this is the credit that the EFL clubs should be getting for producing such talented players in the lower divisions who are capable of playing at any level.'
You may also want to watch:
However, Holloway expects City to face a tough task when they host recently relegated West Brom tomorrow, whose own loan striker, Dwight Gayle, made his debut from the bench in the 61st minute of Tuesday's 1-1 draw at Nottingham Forest and provided a spark, hitting the post and crossbar either side of Matt Phillips' late equaliser.
'Despite their poor start, they played as well as anyone I've seen play without winning,' he continued. 'And so did Nottingham Forest, an absolutely pulsating game.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 9 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
'Can West Brom get the goals is the question and they've made a brilliant signing in Dwight Gayle so I think they'll be knocking on the door, not far off, Bolton produced a superb performance to beat them (1-0 on the opening day) in the last minute.'
• Watch Holloway's analysis on the EFL Highlights Show on Quest every Saturday at 9pm – also available live and on demand at questod.co.uk and via the QuestOD app.