City right-back target Ebuehi set to seal Benfica move
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City look to have lost out to Portuguese giants Benfica in the race for Nigeria international right-back Tyronne Ebuehi.
Dutch football magazine Voetbal International report that the 22-year-old is set to sign for the reigning Portuguese champions this month, with his contract at Den Haag due to expire in the summer.
As Fifa rules prevent players under 23 years old from signing pre-contract agreements, Benfica have moved to secure the defender's services, with Lisbon-based sports newspaper Record reporting Ebuehi could return to Holland on loan for the remainder of the season.
That is due to the full-back being keen to keep playing regularly to make sure of a place in Nigeria's World Cup squad, having played the second half of a 4-2 friendly win over Argentina in November, his second friendly appearance for the Super Eagles.
Ebuehi's, born in the Netherlands, is believed to have been at Carrow Road to watch City's 2-1 Championship win over Millwall on New Year's Day, with his representatives reportedly also in Norfolk for the 0-0 draw with Chelsea later that week.
Ebuehi is said to be able to operate on either flank having made 17 top-flight appearances so this season for Den Haag, who sit seventh in the Eredivisie.
Canaries head coach Daniel Farke was asked about the reported interest recently, saying: 'Many players have watched some of our recent games. I saw some pictures of me with players before Christmas.
- 1 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 2 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 3 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 4 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 5 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 6 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 7 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 8 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
'When we speak about the Den Haag guy it is well known he plays right full-back and that is something we have to think about longer term in this position.
'If Russ Martin leaves the club, who at the moment is the only option to replace Ivo Pinto in the side, then we need another option.'