‘Just screamed YES in the middle of the street’ – City fans welcome positive Maddison injury update
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
News that James Maddison's knee injury is not as bad as first feared has been welcomed with relief by Norwich City fans this lunchtime.
Maddison limped off in the 11th minute of City's nightmare 5-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday on the final day of the Championship season on Sunday, before emerging after full-time with his left knee in a brace and using crutches.
With a big-money move to a Premier League for the club's star player-of-the-season winner expected to be key to crucial summer transfer business, the injury was bad news for all involved.
However, the Canaries issued an update this morning which confirmed the England Under-21 international does not need surgery and should only miss the first week of pre-season.
Although the future still remains unclear for the player and his cash-strapped club, the news that the injury was not more serious has arrived as an understandable boost.
You may also want to watch:
The Coventry City academy product has been linked with interest from almost every Premier League club after 15 goals and 11 assists this season, including Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Manchester United, Leicester City, West Ham, Bournemouth and Huddersfield.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
- 1 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 7 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 8 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 9 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone