Chris Hughton praises the backing from Norwich City’s board
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Chris Hughton admits the backing of Norwich City's board helped him deal with the toughest periods of a testing Premier League season.
Hughton has seen the likes of top flight rivals Andre Villas-Boas and Steve Clarke dismissed over recent days, although Clarke has officially been placed on 'gardening leave' at West Brom, whilst a public stand off at Cardiff involving the owners and Bluebirds' chief Malky Mackay shows little signs of being resolved. City's manager had to deflect questions over his own future at Carrow Road prior to an upturn in fortunes ahead of the festive period and the strong support from inside the club was a major boost for Hughton.
'It is very important to have that backing and there has been wonderful stability at this football club in the last few years,' he said. 'As a manager the important thing is you have to have broad shoulders and try as much as you can to conduct yourself in the difficult periods the same way as when things are going well, but of course you always need support.
'It is sad to see another manager go but for me it is nice to have that support. As part of the League Managers' Association (LMA) I know it does happen. We have had five go in the last couple of weeks and that is the level of pressure involved.'
Hughton is confident his old club are in safe hands with former Norwich midfielder Tim Sherwood placed in interim charge at White Hart Lane.
You may also want to watch:
'I know Tim. He is a very good football person who has some good views on the game and he was an excellent player,' he said. 'When there are changes, not only at Tottenham, but other clubs recently it is simply a consequence of the game. There is no doubt it is a magnificent club with an excellent group of players and they will make sure they spend the appropriate time to get things right.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 9 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job