Chris Hughton - Norwich City midfielder Robert Snodgrass is not for sale
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Robert Snodgrass is not for sale was the message from Chris Hughton after the Scot's pivotal role in a 1-0 Premier League win over Hull City.
Snodgrass was linked with a £4.5m move to boyhood club Celtic in the Scottish media on the eve of the game, but Hughton reiterated he is an influential figure. The 26-year-old went as close as anybody when Allan McGregor parried his swerving first-half strike before a late corner was despatched by Ryan Bennett to clinch a first win in nine games.
'All those details are new to me. Right now, I am quite sure that is not fact,' said Hughton. 'Robert is a very important player for us and he was very good in this match. One thing about him is that even when he doesn't produce as much, he will give his all. He is a focal point of what we do and he is not for sale.'
Bhoys' boss Neil Lennon insisted there was 'nothing' in reports of an approach for Snodgrass after watching his side extend their lead at the top of the Scottish Premier League with a 3-0 home win over Motherwell. 'There's nothing in that,' he said. 'I'm going to get linked with a lot of players but I'm not going to talk about players who are contracted to other clubs.'
Lennon also backed Hughton to get the time to guide Norwich to Premier League safety after being touted as a potential successor.
You may also want to watch:
'It's just speculation - but I think they won (against Hull) so I'm delighted for Chris. I think he'll be safe for another while,' said Lennon. 'He's doing a good job there and keeping them out of the bottom three. I cannot help the speculation, I'm flattered, but he's a good man and a good manager in that job so good luck to him.'
• Norwich City's development squad visit Blackburn's Under-21s on Monday night (7pm).
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 6 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'