‘A glorious defeat, totally in love with this team’ – Canaries fans so proud of FA Cup performance at Chelsea
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The FA Cup may have come to an end in the third round for a fifth successive season for Norwich City but that only tells half the story – as the Canaries gave Premier League giants Chelsea a real scare in the process.
Both sides hit the crossbar in the first half of Wednesday night's replay at Stamford Bridge, before Chelsea took the lead 10 minutes into the second half through Michy Batshuayi.
Daniel Farke's side showed real spirit to rally though and the game was turned on its head in the fourth and final minute of injury-time when 19-year-old Jamal Lewis charged forward from left-back and headed in a cross from the unlikely source of Timm Klose – to spark wild celebrations among around 3,000 travelling supporters behind the goal.
Angus Gunn made marvellous saves from Willian and Alvaro Morata in a dramatic period of extra-time, before the Blues won a penalty shootout 5-3.
City must now re-focus their efforts on the Championship, with a tough Carrow Road clash against sixth-placed Sheffield United to come on Saturday and a four-game unbeaten league run to build on.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder