Carrow Road set for full houses again with distancing rules lifted
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The prime minister's "living with Covid" announcement on Monday evening came with especially good news for football fans, who got the news they were waiting for.
Boris Johnson confirmed in a press conference that rules around social distancing and face coverings would end, and left to people to make their own decisions on what precautions they wish to take against Covid-19.
He said: "We will remove all legal limits on the numbers meeting indoors and outdoors.
"We will lift the limit on the numbers of people attending concerts, the theatre and sports events."
This means, as it stands, football stadiums will be able to welcome capacity crowds back in time for the start of the new season in August, with no government rules preventing it after July 19.
A spokesperson for Norwich City said the club is waiting for guidance from the Premier League before setting any plans in stone.
The Premier League said it welcomed the government's announcement, and is "looking forward to full stadiums in the 2021/22 season".
- 1 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 2 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 3 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Farmers call for Norfolk hosepipe ban
- 6 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 7 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 8 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 9 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
- 10 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
It added: "As we move towards a government decision on Step 4 of the roadmap and beyond, we will continue to work with football stakeholders and relevant public authorities to ensure that the return to full capacity is done in a way that keeps everyone safe."
The last time a capacity crowd was able to attend a game at Carrow Road was on February 28 of last year – a memorable 1-0 victory over Leicester City.
Premier League clubs were able to welcome up to 10,000 fans back for their final home games of the 2020/21 season, but the Canaries missed out as they were in the Championship.
City kick off their latest Premier League adventure by welcoming Liverpool to Carrow Road on Saturday, August 14 – hopefully in front of a sea of yellow and green in the stands.