Captain Sebastien Bassong signs new contract with Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City captain Sebastien Bassong has signed a new contract with the club, adding an extra year to his current contract.
The new deal ties the former Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle centre-back to City until the summer of 2016. He signed for City for an undisclosed fee from Spurs in August 2012 and signed a three-year deal.
'I'm really pleased it is something I have been looking forward to doing, as being team captain I think it is something really important to commit myself even more to the club,' the 27-year-old, told the club's official website.
'I had a little bad time with my fitness, as people know I missed pre-season and I had a knee injury and an operation, so I needed time to get back to my best and while I wasn't playing I was working hard on my fitness, so now I feel better and am back on track.'
The Cameroon international was a key part of the Canaries team which finished 11th in the Premier League last season and was voted as player of the season by the club's supporters.
You may also want to watch:
City boss Chris Hughton added: 'We're delighted that we've had the opportunity to extend Seb's contract – somebody who has been an integral part of everything we've done so far and of course our player of the season last year.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos