Christoph Zimmermann joins Proud Canaries FC training session
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City defender Christoph Zimmermann lent his support to the Proud Canaries FC during the international break.
Zimmermann took part in a training session at Colney organised by Aviva, the club's Community Partner and former long-standing main sponsor.
The 25-year-old, sporting 'Rainbow Laces' in his boots to show his backing for the recently-formed team, posed for photographs and signed autographs with the squad.
'This is something exceptional,' he said. 'The way the club's Community Partner, Aviva, can support a local event. You should never take this support for granted. I am pleased and grateful it is this way in this club.'
The Norfolk-based club was launched in December 2017 by Aviva and Proud Canaries and forms part of Aviva's campaign to celebrate the diverse nature of football from amateur level to the elite.
The team is officially backed and fully supported by Norwich City and proudly wears the club's colours.
Training sessions will culminate in an end of season LGBT-inclusive tournament, which will be played at Carrow Road on May 5.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 5 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 6 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 7 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 8 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 9 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 10 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
The tournament will see Proud Canaries FC face a number of other LGBT-affiliated football club supporter groups, whose involvement will be announced over the coming weeks.