Injury blow for City midfielder
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
A back spasm injury looks to have ended Norwich City midfielder Tom Trybull’s Blackburn Rovers loan spell.
Trybull was a late call off for Rovers’ 1-1 Championship draw with Rotherham at the weekend. After which, Blackburn boss, Tony Mowbray, revealed scans had uncovered further issues with the back that has blighted his Ewood Park move.
The German was deemed surplus to requirements at Norwich this season for the promoted Canaries, but still has a minimum of 12 months left on his existing Carrow Road deal.
Trybull clocked up 26 appearances for mid-table Rovers, but made a late night phone call to Mowbray on Friday evening to pull out of the Millers’ trip.
“After training, Tom Trybull had a scan on a back problem he’s been carrying for a long time, weeks and weeks,” said Mowbray, with the holding midfielder also missing six games earlier this year with a back spasm.
“He phoned me on Friday night and I said that it didn’t matter, he’s not my player, he’s a loan player, he’s a Norwich City player and has a year left on his contract and that he shouldn’t take a risk with the spasm that he’s got. So we left him out.
“The Under-23s were away at Chelsea on Friday night so I said to him that we’d go with eight substitutes.
“I, more than anyone, would not want to have a weakened bench because I think it sends the wrong message, that’s why you’ve got young footballers. But at that time of night, 10pm, you couldn’t register anyone and all the young players that we have registered were away at Chelsea and didn’t get back until 4am.”
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 4 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 5 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 6 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 7 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 8 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 9 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 10 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
Trybull was ineligible for Blackburn’s recent 1-1 Championship draw at Carrow Road.