‘He was my Mario Gotze’ - Jurgen Klopp on the man starring for the Canaries
- Credit: PA
Norwich City's Championship promotion surge is getting some high profile backing from Jurgen Klopp.
Klopp guided Liverpool into the knockout stages of the Champions League after beating Napoli in midweek, while the Reds are top of the Premir League as they look to fight it out with champions Manchester City.
The former Borussia Dortmund coach, however, is also keeping one eye on the progress of compatriot Daniel Farke and a clutch of players he knows very well flourishing at Carrow Road - including a midfielder who reminds Klopp of Germany's 2014 World Cup match-winning midfielder Mario Gotze.
'All the Norwich results I know, second only to the Huddersfield games. I had a lot of their players,' he told Sky Sports.
'Moritz Leitner was awesome for me and it's not just him. Mario Vrancic was my player. He was my Mario Gotze at Mainz, 17 and in the squad.
You may also want to watch:
'I have known him for ages and he is a good friend of my son's.
'Marco Stiepermann was in the squad for the 2011 championship at Dortmund.
- 1 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 2 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
- 3 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 5 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 6 I don't watch Strictly but I'm in love with 'beacon of hope' Bill Bailey
- 7 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries
- 8 'False start' for restaurants as some stay closed after lockdown
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
'Felix Passlack was a very young prospect there alongside Christian Pulisic.'