Time’s Up for Nelson Oliveira at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Nelson Oliveira needs to leave Norwich City in January.
The Portugal international was unable to get a summer move, after falling out of favour under Daniel Farke, but sporting director Stuart Webber admits a New Year divorce is best for both parties.
'If he stays, no one really wins,' he said. 'We are open to offers for him in January. He is open to leaving because he knows he needs to play football.
'As a club we have an expensive asset sat there and for him his career is disappearing and you only get one opportunity. He knows that. Nelson and I have an honest relationship.
'We speak at least once a week on it. It is very professional. There are no problems.
You may also want to watch:
'He has not been banished out of the group. He trains every day. I can't speak highly of how he has handled it.'
Webber revealed at the annual shareholders' meeting the club had rejected offers for Swiss international defender Timm Klose last summer but there was no firm interest in Oliveira, who has not featured for the Canaries since the final day of the previous campaign.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 4 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 5 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 8 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 9 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 10 Holiday let plan rejected due to flooding concerns
'We never had anything direct. Hopefully that changes this winter,' said Webber. 'No direct offers to us (last summer). There was some interest guided to us from his agent, which his agent said were not of interest to Nelson. We respected that.
'We were very honest with him towards the end of last season. He was honest with us.
'And the same at the start of this season, once we had signed Teemu (Pukki) and Jordan (Rhodes). So far, with how the strikers have done, that has been justified from our point of view. We have not had a situation where we need Nelson. For him, he needs to get out and go and play football.
'He is 27, a full international, and it is doing him no good to not be playing, or playing the odd game for the under-23s.
'What I would say is Nelson has been unbelievably professional in terms of his attitude in training. He works hard, he keeps himself fit, but unfortunately for him he is not part of the group.'
The former Benfica forward is under contract at Carrow Road until 2020, after signing a four-year deal in 2016.
Oliveira has plundered 19 league goals in 65 appearances for the Canaries.