'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Struggling Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce has hit back at Alan Shearer's comments on his caution by citing Norwich City's Premier League relegation last season as what happens when sides go gung ho.
The Magpies travel to Burnley on Sunday lunchtime three points above the drop zone, after only two league wins since mid-December.
Newcastle did salvage a 2-2 draw last time out at home to Tottenham, which prompted Magpies' legend Shearer to call for a more bold approach to survival.
"I’m just going to use an example here, Norwich now, who are romping away with their attacking intent in the Championship," said Bruce, who was part of a League Cup winning side as a player at Carrow Road.
“They started life in the Premier League and kept to those beliefs -‘that’s the way we’re going to play and that’s the way we’re going to go about it’ – and unfortunately you get relegated playing that way, so there’s a balance to everything, of course.
“I’ve said since I walked through the door I want to try to get at teams, I want to play a little bit on the front foot. It’s very difficult in the big league and who we’re playing against, so you have to get the balance right to get enough results to stay that way.
“Yes, I understand Alan’s quotes – and of course he’s a centre-forward, so he wants to attack, he’s not interested in defending.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 7 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
“For me, it’s all about the balance, especially in the Premier League.”
Norwich look to be storming to an immediate top flight return after beating Derby County 1-0 on Saturday to move 17 points clear of third-placed Brentford. City's promotion will be confirmed if they beat Bournemouth this weekend.