Steven Naismith at the double in Norwich City’s 4-3 development win over Newcastle United’s U23s
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Steven Naismith notched a brace and produced a match-winning assist in an entertaining 4-3 Premier League Two win for Matt Gill's development squad on Sunday at Colney.
Naismith, who reiterated again over the weekend he expects to leave this month on loan, made his mark in a 78-minute outing as an over-age outfield player, in a side that featured James Husband and Northern Ireland international Michael McGovern.
City had to twice come from behind to beat the Magpies, with Tristan Abrahams and Todd Cantwell - an unused substitute in Saturday's 1-0 Championship win over Bristol City - also on the mark.
Naismith slotted Abrahams cross at the far post to put Gill's side in front after 12 minutes but Owen Bailey replied when he rifled past McGovern. Mo Sangare put Newcastle in front from close range but City's Scottish international levelled two mminutes later after latching onto Cantwell's ball to drew Nathan Harker.
City, however, conceded from the restart seconds before the interval when Macaulay Gillesphey headed past McGovern.
Glenn Middleton replaced Husband at the break and City replied again in the 52nd minute when Cantwell lashed home a penalty after Abrahams had been hauled back.
McGovern thwarted Luke Charman just prior to the hour mark and that proved a key moment when Abrahams controlled Naismith's intelligent ball to beat Harker.
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 The homeless newlyweds who have lived in their car for a year
- 3 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 4 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 5 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 6 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 7 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 8 Yarmouth market's pea and pie stall holder to retire
- 9 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 10 Obituary: Farm merchant who helped save revered brewing barley dies aged 81
• Norwich City U23s: McGovern, Sambu, Crowe, Wallis, Husband (Middleton 46), Aransibia, Edwards (McIntosh 69), Fonkeu, Naismith (Power 78), Cantwell, Abrahams, Subs (not used): Hallett, Ekumah.
• Bookings: Cantwell, Sambu
• Goals: Naismith (12, 44), Cantwell (52), Abrahams (74)
• Newcastle United U23s: Harker, Williams, Hunter, Bailey, Cameron, Gillesphey, Barclaser, Smith, Ward (Sangare 20), Fernandez (El-Mhanni 72), Charman. Subs (not used): Pearson, O'Connor, McNall.
• Goals: Bailey (31), Sangare (42), Gillesphey (45)