James Maddison responds to reports he is a transfer target for Premier League posse
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
James Maddison insists his head will not get turned by being touted as a mega-money transfer target for the Premier League's finest.
The England Under-21 international's stunning season at Norwich City has seen him linked with Manchester City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and a host of other top flight clubs.
Maddison was mooted with a £17m move to Leicester City earlier this month, but plenty of speculation is swirling around the midfielder as a £20m-plus option in the summer for some of the biggest clubs in the land.
'It doesn't affect me,' he said. 'There will always be paper talk. I have been involved in paper talk since I was 16 at Coventry.
'When I was that young you could maybe say it was on my mind when a teenage lad sees his name in the paper getting linked with this or that club.
You may also want to watch:
'I am grown up now and better prepared from going through those experiences and rumours.
'It is flattering to see but I play for Norwich City and I love playing for Norwich City.
- 1 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 2 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 3 Photos show RAF centre being visited by ‘beast’ of an aircraft
- 4 'Stay local' warning and visitors fined after hundreds head to Sea Palling
- 5 New mass vaccination centre opening in Norfolk
- 6 Mum sets up sideline selling jewellery made from breast milk
- 7 Cottage project that is a 'step back in time' coming under hammer
- 8 Police fine 39 second-homers and day-trippers in resort crackdown
- 9 'Forgotten' pub to go under hammer after fails to sell
- 10 Revealed: Adult vaccination rates are lower in some areas of Norfolk
'We still have three games to play and people might say we have nothing to play for but I want to finish as strongly as I can.
'I am on 15 goals now I want to be on 16 or 17 or 18 and more assists. I want the best possible season I can have and that is where all my focus is on now.
'I am not thinking that far ahead (next season). I am more reflective at present. I have played so many games and it has happened so fast for me. It has been some season for me.
'I have my family around me and that is a big help.
'Even if I was the type of guy who let all the rumours go to my head, I don't think my Mum and Dad would let me go off track.
'I have a brilliant family around me. I say that all the time and they have been behind me from step one. They travel up and down the country and have barely missed a game this season and I just hope to keep making them proud.'