Yanic Wildschut blasted by Neil Warnock for costly error in Cardiff’s Championship promotion charge
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's on-loan midfielder Yanic Wildschut felt the wrath of Neil Warnock after his crucial mistake in Cardiff City's 3-1 Championship defeat at Derby County.
Late substitute Wildschut lost the ball in his own box in a move that led to Derby taking the lead late on in the East Midlands on Tuesday night, after former City team mate Cameron Jerome had drawn the hosts level.
Jerome then added a third to halt the Bluebirds' Premier League push and revive Fulham's flagging bid for automatic promotion in the process.
Wildschut's desperate attempts to rectify his error proved in vain - and there was little sympathy from Warnock.
'Before he went on, I told him to make sure if he's in the defensive half not to do anything silly, so he obviously listened to me, didn't he?,' said Warnock, with his second-placed side a point ahead of Fulham ahead of the final two league games.
You may also want to watch:
'We all make mistakes don't we and it's a good lesson, not just for him, but a good lesson for the other lads and I've been saying that to lads in different areas.
'It's a simple lesson you've got to learn and unfortunately for Yanic, it's a hard thing to learn.
- 1 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 2 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
- 3 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 5 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 6 I don't watch Strictly but I'm in love with 'beacon of hope' Bill Bailey
- 7 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries
- 8 'False start' for restaurants as some stay closed after lockdown
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
'If I'm really honest, the three substitutes I made, it made us a lot worse.
'I don't think it helped our cause at all. We tried to give a new lease of life at 1-1 and it didn't work out like that.'