Canaries keeper is ‘highly unlikely’ to make Plymouth return after impressive League One loan
- Credit: Dave Rowntree/PPAUK
Remi Matthews has done 'exceptionally well' in League One this season but Plymouth are not expecting the Norwich City loan keeper to return next season.
The 24-year-old has made 25 appearances for Argyle and played a big part in Derek Adams' side shaking off a bad start to the season to force their way into the play-off mix.
Plymouth face a crunch game this evening when they travel to nearest play-off rivals Scunthorpe, who are two points better off in sixth place, with Matthews the established number one.
'I think it would be highly unlikely,' Adams told the Plymouth Herald when asked if there was any chance of the Canaries keeper returning.
'He's going back to Norwich and it would depend on what Norwich think of him. Remi has done exceptionally well for us this season and we would look to try and have an avenue to take him back.'
The Gorleston-born keeper is yet to make his City debut but has a year remaining on his contract, with the option for a further 12 months, and has enjoyed previous loan spells at Burton, Doncaster and Hamilton.
With current Norwich number one Angus Gunn unlikely to return when his loan from Manchester City expires after Sunday's final game of the season at Sheffield Wednesday, there could be a chance for Matthews to stake his claim during pre-season.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 6 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 7 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 10 Taxi driver hopes to be named Miss Voluptuous UK