Testimonial talks for Wes Hoolahan but City future up in the air
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City are in talks with Wes Hoolahan over a testimonial.
The club's reigning player of the year announced his international retirement earlier this week, but is closing in on a decade of service at Carrow Road later this year.
Sporting director Stuart Webber revealed on Friday Hoolahan's future is still up in the air, with the 35-year-old out of contract at the end of the season, but the Canaries' top brass are determined to recognise his loyalty.
'We have had talks regarding a testimonial at some point in the future,' said Webber.
'He certainly needs to have the opportunity to recognise what he has done for this football club.
'Whatever happens next season, as a player or not, we would look to honour that and do something for him.
'In football that type of achievement is so rare and when it does happen then it is only right for the club and the player and his family to celebrate that. We have had initial talks but Wes is a guy in the middle of a season who understandably wants to concentrate on playing football and we will sit and talk when the time is right.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 7 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
'In terms of going forward with Wes at club level we will have to wait and see. We haven't spoken to him and we have to gather our thoughts on that one, because there is still a chunk of the season left.
'Wes has been an unbelievable servant to his club and country. It can't have been easy to announce his retirement from international football. I was gutted for him that it didn't end in a major final, after getting beaten in the play-offs.'
Webber also confirmed he had opened discussions with Alex Tettey's representative, regarding a possible new contract.
'I have met with his agent in the last couple of weeks just to get a feel where Alex is at,' he said.
'We also wanted to tell him our opinion and let them know how we see it, with Alex's age and the fact he is on a Premier League salary, and those are the things we have to talk about.
'We have had discussions about him potentially staying beyond this season.
'Where they get us to? Who knows. It is a big decision for him.
'If he stays that is him probably finishing his career here. For us, it is extending the contract of a player who has had a few injuries and is not getting any younger, and all those considerations which are difficult for a club as the finances get tighter.'
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Group Football Editor Paddy Davitt on the following channels…