Daniel Farke reveals why Moritz Leitner is the real deal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans must savour the 'outstanding' Moritz Leitner, says Daniel Farke.
Leitner impressed with a high class cameo in the Canaries' 1-0 Championship win over Middlesbrough on his Carrow Road debut.
Farke used his connections to entice the 25-year-old midfielder to England, until the end of the season, after working together at Borussia Dortmund.
Leitner had been kicking his heels at FC Augsburg since the summer, but City's head coach is tipping the ex-German U21 captain to hit the ground running.
'He is pretty close to the XI. I was even thinking to have in the starting line up (against Middlesbrough) because when you watch him you know he can handle it,' said Farke.
'Moritz is one of those number 10 types and sometimes you can look at those players and think they can be a bit lazy, a bit soft, but I will only praise my number 10s.
'I have praised James Maddison a lot and it will be the same with Moritz.
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 3 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 4 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 5 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 6 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 7 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 8 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 9 Protests outside drag queen story event sees police called in
- 10 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
'He came with the best endurance data of not just all my lads here, but all the lads at Augsburg. He is outstanding.
'After each training session he is so professional with his nutrition and how he looks after himself and his behaviour.
'He is always in the gym using the right opportunities to recover.
'When you add outstanding ability we should be pleased we have him.
'I think it was a good opportunity because we had a lot of possession and that is a type of football he likes.
'You can see how big his quality is. He had several really, really good switches of the game and played some smart passes.
'Also under pressure he was not nervous, he kept the ball, he didn't lose it.
'He calmed the whole game down and I am really pleased we have him.'
Leitner has the pedigree but Farke was delighted to pluck Onel Hernandez and Dennis Srbeny from the lower leagues in Germany in the transfer window.
'It is easier when you can spend £12m on a player and when you go for a cheaper solution then it is not a 100pc guarantee,' he said.
'Onel and Dennis and also Moritz, even though he is experienced, need time to adapt to a new league, the opponents and the small details.
'These lads were desperate to come.
'I am totally happy with the quality of this group and the togetherness and atmosphere.'
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Group Football Editor Paddy Davitt on the following channels…