Norwich City in no rush over Jamal Lewis deal
PUBLISHED: 16:28 24 September 2018 | UPDATED: 16:29 24 September 2018
Daniel Farke is relaxed about the progress of contract talks with Norwich City’s highly-rated defender Jamal Lewis.
The Canaries have opened discussions over rewarding the Northern Ireland international for his stunning breakthrough during the past 12 months.
Lewis has reportedly attracted interest from Premier League duo Bournemouth and Watford but the Canaries hold the cards with the 20-year-old under contract until 2021, plus the option of a further year.
Reports over the weekend suggested Lewis will pen a new, improved four year deal to stay at Carrow Road.
“The terms of contracts are always a topic for Stuart Webber. He is always in talks with the players and we know Jamal’s development has been brilliant in the last year,” said Farke. “I am not too concerned because he is on a long term contract but it is a good sign of the relationship between the club and a player if there are talks.
“Any news will be for Stuart to deliver.”
Farke’s priority is plotting a route past Wycombe in Tuesday’s Carabao Cup third round tie. Lewis could be one of City’s frontline options given the night off after a key role in three consecutive Championship wins.
“I am not a big believer in making too many changes from league to cup,” said Farke, speaking at Colney on Monday. “Normally I would like to perhaps keep it to three or four. I think for Wycombe we have to be a bit more braver in making even more changes.
“Not the whole 11 but more than three.
“This is the third competitive game within six days and a third away game.
“A lot of load for the players, who arrive home late in the night, so its not easy with the sleep patterns.
“We have to watch the older players. Is it right to put even more load on Alex Tettey who has been crucial in the last few games? Also perhaps the younger players, for them it is the mental challenge, and also we have to watch who had a break during the international break and who didn’t or who was struggling in pre-season.
“All those thoughts have to be in our mind. We can’t risk more injuries or our brilliant shape in the league at present.
“We have to be smart without taking anything away from our target.
“We won’t to go to the next round. We want a strong side who are competitive but we must rest players as well.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.