‘It shows he’s one of the best’ – Boss beams at signing City FA Youth Cup winner
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Danny Cowling was clearly a happy man after Lincoln City secured one of Norwich City's 2013 FA Youth Cup winners, Harry Toffolo.
On the same day Josh Murphy completed his £10m-plus move to Premier League Cardiff, his 22-year-old former academy team-mate put pen to paper on a two-year deal at League Two Lincoln City.
Toffolo spent the second half of last season at Championship Millwall, having signed a short-term deal last winter – and the former England Under-20 international can now settle down to a meaty challenge at Sincil Bank.
'He had lots of options and lots of offers in League One, and the fact he's trusted us to continue his development is something we should be really pleased about,' said Imps boss Cowley.
'We know Neil Harris really well at Millwall, and Harry finished the season there. Neil speaks very highly as a player and as a person.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm delighted to be able to bring Harry into the group and there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be a top, top player. We're hoping to give him the platform to reach his full potential.
'He's got really good experience from someone so young. At 22, to have played in the Championship and League One – and a good amount of games too – was really important to us. We think he'll really add to the group both on and off the pitch.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
'The thing which impressed me the most about Harry was the questions he asked, and wanted to know where and how we can make him better and they're the type of players we like our young players asking.'
Toffolo played at centre-back in City's 2013 Youth Cup success, as well as featuring six times for England's youngsters – before making his name as a left-back at Norwich and a series of loans away from Carrow Road.
'It shows that he's one of the best, if not the best left-back in his age group – to have 10 England caps shows he had a great youth career, as well as winning the FA Youth Cup,' added Cowley. 'He's had a great football education and some really good experiences.
'He'll bring us real quality, he's got a lovely left foot and a fantastic range of passing. He's good on the overlap, he's got great delivery in open play and from restarts, and he's a very good defender in one-v-one situations.'
The Norwich academy product may well have a swift reunion with his former club too. Daniel Farke's Canaries are due at Sincil Bank for a pre-season friend on Tuesday, July 10.
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…