‘Lambert was a breath of fresh air when his Norwich City team played bravely’ - Leading pundit urges struggling Stoke boss to go back to basics
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images
Paul Lambert needs to summon up the spirit of his magical spell at Norwich City to pull off a great escape at Stoke City.
Lambert's latest club face an uphill battle for Premier League survival, after blowing a 1-0 lead at West Ham on Monday night to draw 1-1 in a result that kept them five points from safety with only four league games left.
The Scot won his first match in charge of the Potters when he replaced Mark Hughes but has failed to win any of the next 10 and Times columnist Tony Cascarino is now urging Lambert to revive the fighting spirit of his time at Carrow Road.
The ex-Celtic and Borussia Dortmund mifielder guided the Canaries to consecutive promotions from the Football League and comfortably kept them up in his first season in the top flight before a sour exit to Aston Villa.
Cascarino admits he can now see worrying parallels with Lambert's tough spell at Villa Park as he tries to keep the Potters afloat.
You may also want to watch:
'I was hugely critical of Aston Villa's cautious approach under Paul when they were fighting relegation and Stoke City have been similarly impotent with the same manager in charge.
'The team had hit only seven goals in the Scot's ten league games in charge before (West Ham) and they seldom looked like scoring in the first half before at last becoming more adventurous after the break.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 6 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 7 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
'Peter Crouch looked to have won them three points before Andy Carroll's late equaliser. I remember Lambert was a breath of fresh air when his Norwich City team played bravely on the front foot and he needs to employ that policy if Stoke are to survive.'