Norwich City's postponed Championship game against Barnsley re-arranged for March 13
PUBLISHED: 17:27 02 March 2018 | UPDATED: 17:28 02 March 2018
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Norwich City's postponed Championship game at Barnsley has been re-arranged for Tuesday March 13. (KO 7:45pm).
Tykes’ officials confirmed the re-arranged date late on Friday afternoon, after earlier calling off this weekend’s league game on safety grounds, following discussions with the relevant authorities.
Any Norwich fans who had tickets for the original game will be able to use them later this month at Oakwell if they do not wish to have a refund.
Daniel Farke, speaking shortly after the postponement was announced on Friday lunchtime, revealed he planned to put City’s squad through a second training session before a day off on Saturday and then back to work on Sunday ahead of the scheduled midweek trip from Nottingham Forest.
“It’s probably the right decision for the safety of the fans,” said Farke.
“I’d have preferred to play and keep our rhythm but it is what it is. Training has been tricky this week and you prepare the lads all week and then one day before it is off. All that suspense and pressure you build up now falls down. That is not easy.
“Barnsley tried to go everything to get the game on but from the safety point of view they could not guarantee the travelling.
“We will have a second training session today now, then a day off on Saturday. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning we will prepare for Nottingham Forest. If we didn’t have the Saturday off that would be too many days in a row.”
Farke admitted it had been a challenge in recent days after the heavy midweek snowfall.
“On Wednesday our pitch was full of snow and we had to have a gym session and in the dome with no balls,” said Farke. “Many players thought Wednesday would be a day off. My German soul is not so soft. It was no problem at all. Thursday was much better, we were outside and could have a proper session and on Friday we had a normal session.
“That is why we can have another one later.”
City released their own statement earlier on Friday.
It read: “It was decided by all parties this decision was best made as far in advance as possible, in order to minimise the impact on supporters.
“We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank supporters in their understanding of the situation.”
Barnsley’s official statement made it clear the playing surface at Oakwell was not the issue.
It read: “The club is sorry to announce that the game this weekend has fallen victim to the weather.
The surrounding areas of Oakwell, including the roads, footpaths, car parks and potential travel routes have been deemed unsafe for members of the public to be using. This decision has been taken at the earliest available opportunity, whilst also giving the relevant authorities and members of staff as much time as possible to allow worked to be carried out for the game to go ahead.
“Unfortunately, due to sheer amount of snow and ice in the surrounding areas of Oakwell, the decision has been taken by the relevant authorities that the safety of the fans and general public would be in doubt. The safety of our fans is paramount in situations like this.
“The pitch, which has been immaculately looked after by the ground staff, is believed playable and we would like to thank everybody who has worked tirelessly at the club to try and get the game to go ahead.”
• Re-live the main lines from the press conference in the blog above