Todd Cantwell shines in Fortuna Sittard’s promotion success
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Todd Cantwell can savour promotion at loan club Fortuna Sittard on Monday evening with an open top bus tour planned to celebrate clinching a place in the Eredivisie next season.
Fortuna have returned to the big time after a 16-year absence from the Dutch top flight and can now look forward to tussles against the likes of Ajax and PSV Eindhoven.
The 20-year-old attacking midfielder, who linked up with Fortuna in January after making his Norwich City debut in the Canaries' FA Cup replay at Chelsea, has been a key figure in the promotion push.
Cantwell scored twice in 10 appearances - during a spell interrupted by injury that forced him to return to Norfolk for treatment - but his free kick was headed home by Finn Stokkers on Saturday night to seal a 1-0 home win over PSV II in front of nearly 12,000 fans.
'Wow, what an amazing experience,' he said. 'From the start to the finish we have deserved everything we have got. Those fans deserve everything they are going to get as well.'
You may also want to watch:
The Dereham-bred prospect has pushed his claims to be involved in Daniel Farke's first team set-up next season, particularly with the likes of Alex Pritchard and Wes Hoolahan moving on during the current campaign.
Farke, speaking earlier this month, admitted Cantwell would reap the rewards from gaining experience in Holland.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 2 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 8 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
'He is there with goals and assists and getting a lot of compliments. He also had to deal with a situation where the club changed their coach and that can be difficult,' he said. 'Also to be in a different country and experiencing that and being away from the club for the first time without his family and friends.
'That is good for his personality.'