Confirmed: Canaries announce signing of Braunschweig winger Hernandez
JASON DAWSON ©Jason Dawson
Norwich City have confirmed the signing of Cuban winger Onel Hernandez from German second tier side Eintracht Braunschweig.
Hernandez has signed a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee.
“I’m happy to be here,” Hernandez told canaries.co.uk. “I’m very hungry to play for Norwich. I came here to win matches, to give my all for my teammates and my club.”
A winger who can play on either flank, Hernandez says he is looking forward to playing at Carrow Road.
“I’ve seen the stadium on TV and the feeling was very good,” he said. “The fans were very good and the stadium is very fine, so everything is very positive.”
A player who likes to get the ball down and create, Hernandez says he’s looking forward to getting out on the pitch with his new teammates.
“I’m a winger, I have good speed and when I have the ball I go on the offensive with my speed,” he said. “When I see a good player in my team I give the player the ball and he makes the goal, or I make the goal myself.
“I think English is football is good football. It’s a new chance for me, and a new level.
“For me it’s very good. I can speak with the German players, and they can help me learn to speak English and help me to live in England.”
City boss Daniel Farke said: “Onel had an outstanding season last year in the German second tier, playing on the wing.
“He’s right-footed but can play on both the left wing and the right wing, and he can also play as a quick striker who can make runs in behind. We’re very happy to have him at Norwich.”
It emerged earlier this week that Hernandez had been left out of Braunschweig’s squad for Tuesday night’s Bundesliga II clash with Heidenheim – sparking speculation that his reported move to Norfolk was edging closer.
The 24-year-old has now been confirmed as a Canaries player, having been touted with a January switch ever since photos claiming to be of Hernandez having dinner with City head coach Daniel Farke circulated on social media in December.
While the German laughed off the investigatory work of supporters online at the time, Braunschweig sporting director Marc Arnold confirmed on Tuesday that the player had been distracted by the potential transfer.
That followed a weekend report in The Sun suggesting a £1.7million bid had been made, claiming that Huddersfield and Wolves had also monitored the speedy wide-man.
Born in Cuba but moving to Germany at a young age, Hernandez came through the ranks at Arminia Bielefeld, going on to play for the second teams of Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg before signing for Braunschweig in 2016.
He has scored once and claimed two assists in 17 league performance so far this season, coming on as a substitute in the final game before the winter break, a 1-0 home defeat to Dusseldorf.
During his first season with Braunschweig the former Germany Under-18 international scored five and set up four in 36 league games, as the Lions missed out on promotion to the top flight in the play-offs.
Irish winger Simon Power was also signed from UC Dublin but the 19-year-old initially begins life in Norfolk with City’s under-23 squad.
They follow on from the sale of Alex Pritchard to Huddersfield for an initial £11m and Cameron Jerome to Derby in a deal worth up to £2m, as well as the loan exits of Steven Naismith, Yanic Wildschut, Russell Martin and Marcel Franke.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.