Burton boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink a big fan of Norwich City goalkeeper Remi Matthews
- Credit: Adrian Judd/Archant Norfolk 2010
Burton boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink insists Norwich City's young loan keeper Remi Matthews is ready for his senior debut in the Brewers' League One opener next month.
Matthews agreed a new two-year deal earlier this week with the Canaries, which keeps the Gorleston-born shot-stopper at Carrow Road until the summer of 2017.
The 21-year-old is on loan with newly-promoted Burton until January and looks to be in line for his professional debut with first choice Jon McLaughlin serving a one-match ban that sees him miss Albion's League One home game against Scunthorpe on August 8. Matthews impressed with a string of fine stops in the Brewers' 1-0 friendly win over Dutch top flight side ADO Den Haag at the weekend and former Chelsea legend Hasselbaink is a firm fan.
'I would have no qualms about putting Remi in if we needed to against Scunthorpe,' he said. 'Obviously we have Jon McLaughlin suspended which is a problem for us. Dean Lyness had a broken leg and he's still coming back from that. We can't really take a chance on that if we feel it isn't right.'
Matthews made it clear after penning his new deal at Norwich he aims to force his way into the Burton first team during his second spell with the club, but McLaughlin is ready for the battle ahead after signing a new contract himself.
You may also want to watch:
'They came to me really early. The manager made it clear he wanted me to stay which is always nice to hear,' he said. 'It was great when a manager like Gary Rowett came to me in the first place and pushed to get me here and made me feel that he thought I could really add to his squad. Then to have made a good impact on a new manager like the gaffer was brilliant.
'It was an easy decision. It was sorted in a couple of days.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls