Burnley 2, Norwich City 1

A goal nine minutes from time by Jay Rodriguez condemned Norwich City to only their second defeat in 16 Championship games.

Rodriguez tucked home a free-kick from Danny Fox to decide a rain-soaked encounter at Turf Moor and inflict the Canaries' first away defeat since October 30.

It was the classic game of two halves with Burnley on top before the break and going ahead in the 33rd-minute with a 20-yard shot from their former loan midfielder, Dean Marney, though City will have felt striker Simeon Jackson was fouled before Burnley broke upfield to score.

But City fought back and dominated much of the second half, skipper Grant Holt levelling with a great finish from Wes Hoolahan's cross after 65 minutes.

Most Read

The Canaries looked more likely winners for a while and substitute Chris Martin twice forced goalkeeper Lee Grant into action, but Rodriguez settled the issue when he popped up at the far post to poke his shot under goalkeeper John Ruddy.

Turf Moor remains an unhappy hunting ground for City. This was their fifth defeat in a row at the ground and they have won just once in 19 visits in all competitions.

City boss Paul Lambert made three changes to the team that started Tuesday's 2-1 win over Millwall.

Adam Drury returned at left-back after recovering from a thigh strain and a heavy cold, in place of Marc Tierney. Hoolahan was recalled in place of Simon Lappin and Lambert included a third central defender with Zak Whitbread brought in at the expense of a midfielder in David Fox.

Tierney, Lappin and Fox were all among the substitutes.

Burnley made one change after the 1-0 defeat at Doncaster with Ross Wallace preferred to Wade Elliott, and manager Eddie Howe gave a home debut to striker Charlie Austin after his move from Swindon.

Another new signing, �350,000 midfielder Marvin Bartley, was named among the substitutes after his move from Bournemouth.

It was a grey and wet afternoon as City kicked off and they won the first free-kick in the opening minute when Hoolahan was fouled by Marney, who earned a lecture from referee Gibbs. Hoolahan tapped the kick to Lansbury but his shot was way off target.

Eagles and Mears combined to create Burnley's first opening but Austin's shot was well blocked by the sliding Ward.

Burnley forced the first corner in the fifth minute but Wallace's kick was a poor one, all along the ground, and Holt hammered clear.

With Burnley more dangerous going forward, Rodriguez glanced a header just wide from a cross by Mears in the 10th minute, the closest either side had come to an opening goal.

Duff was adjudged to have fouled Holt, giving City another free-kick 35 yards out but Lansbury's attempt to float the ball in was headed clear and his follow-up drifted out for a goal-kick.

A high challenge by Drury on Mears on the touchline after 15 minute angered the home crowd and left the Burnley defender needing treatment, but after a word from referee Gibbs, Drury was shown the yellow card.

Russell Martin conceded a corner with a sliding clearance on the edge of the six-yard box, but from the kick, the header by Rodriguez looped harmlessly behind.

Ruddy did well to palm away a cross by Eagles but Wallace retrieved the loose ball and Rodriguez headed wide again from his cross.

Eagles wasted a free-kick opportunity by belting a shot high into the stand behind Ruddy's goal.

Lansbury wasted another free-kick from just inside the Burnley half by hitting too long for Whitbread, coming in at the far post, and straight our for a goal-kick.

City won a corner when Duff cut out Russell Martin's cross. Lansbury's kick was cleared by Carlisle as far as Hoolahan, who found Barnett, and the defender's cross was met by Holt but he headed into the side netting.

In the 33rd minute, Burnley took the lead through former City loan midfielder Marney.

A City attack broke down when Jackson went down after a shove in the back from Mears and Cork, but no free-kick was given, and as Burnley broke quickly through Wallace, he found Eagles, who played the perfect pass for Marney to drill a low right-foot shot past Ruddy from 20 yards.

Cork forced Ruddy into a save and Eagles fired just wide as Burnley looked for a second goal.

Marney was less accurate with his next effort, which flew well wide, but there was no real let-up for the Canaries, who had not seriously troubled Burnley keeper Grant.

Jackson was sent flying by a challenge by Carlisle that earned the Burnley man a booking. Lansbury at last produced a decent free-kick into the six-yard box but Barnett got ahead of Holt and his glancing header was well over the top.

In first-half stoppage time, City won a free-kick on the edge of the Burnley area as Mears was adjudged to have shoved Holt over as he moved on to Lansbury's pass. But Lansbury hammered the free-kick into the wall.

As City pressed again, Hoolahan did superbly on the left and his cross was headed out by Danny Fox for a corner.

Lansbury's kick found the head of Holt and Jackson attempted to backheel the ball goalwards but was crowded out.

• HALF-TIME: Burnley 1, Norwich City 0

At the start of the second half, Lambert replaced Whitbread with Lappin and reverted to an orthodox back four.

In the third minute after the restart, City had a clear chance to level through Holt. Lansbury's interception enabled Hoolahan to break and he picked out his unmarked skipper on the right side of the penalty area, but Holt attempted to place his shot and it was blocked by the legs of 'keeper Grant.

It was certainly the Canaries' best opportunity so far.

Cork conceded a free-kick with a tug on Lansbury's shirt a few yards outside the Burnley area. The Arsenal man stepped up to take it but curled his effort at least a yard off target.

Another dead-ball opportunity was wasted when Lappin won a corner on the left but Lansbury hit it too long for Barnett to connect and it drifted out for a goal-kick.

Holt and Jackson were getting grief from the home crowd, especially when the ball went out for a throw and Holt lobbed it back and struck Mears on the back of the head.

It had been one-way traffic in the second half and City won another free-kick on the hour when Holt was fouled. This time Lappin curled in the shot and Grant dived to his left to push the ball round the post.

Burnley made their first change with Elliott replacing Austin, and the home side missed their first real opening of the half when Marney fired well wide from Wallace's pass.

City made another change with Chris Martin replacing Jackson in the 62nd minute.

Ward blocked a powerful drive by Cork as Burnley threatened again.

But with 65 minutes gone, the Canaries levelled with a brilliant finish from Holt, his 13th goal of the season.

Lansbury hooked the ball forward down the left to Hoolahan, who picked out Holt's run and though the bounce was awkward the City skipper did superbly to angle his shot down and inside Grant's right-hand post.

Burnley thought they might get a penalty from the restart as Rodriguez tumbled over Ruddy, but there appeared to be no real contact.

At the other end, there were City appeals for a spot-kick as Russell Martin's shot was blocked by Duff.

Chris Martin had a shot deflected just wide moments later as City looked for a second.

With 20 minutes left, a foul by Barnett gave Burnley a free-kick and Eagles shot struck Lansbury in the wall before he volleyed the rebound wide.

There were more changes as Lansbury made way for Wilbraham and Burnley replaced Wallace with Iwelumo.

Iwelumo headed wide from Eagles' cross with his first real contribution when he might have done better.

Crofts blocked a powerful shot by Cork as Burnley suddenly found second wind.

Chris Martin forced Grant into action with another long-range effort and with 12 minuites left it was anybody's game.

Wilbraham's clever ball put Chris Martin through with a great chance and though he took the ball wide of Grant, it was a fraction too wide and the 'keeper recovered to cut out his shot from a tight angle.

It was end to end now and when a foul by Holt on Mears gave Burnley a free-kick on the right, it produced the goal that restored their lead right on 81 minutes.

Danny Fox's kick was allowed to drift through to the far post where Rodriguez got ahead of Wilbraham to tuck his shot through Ruddy's legs for his seventh goal of the season.

Burnley made their final change five minutes from time when Alexander was sent on in place of Eagles.

• RESULT: Burnley 2, Norwich City 1

• Burnley: Grant; Mears, Carlisle, Duff, Danny Fox; Wallace, Cork, Marney; Eagles, Austin, Rodriguez.

Subs: Jensen, Bikey, Bartley, Alexander (for Eagles, 85), Elliott (for Austin, 61), Iwelumo (for Wallace, 72), Thompson.

• Norwich City: Ruddy; Russell Martin, Barnett, Ward, Whitbread, Drury; Crofts, Hoolahan; Lansbury; Jackson, Holt.

Subs: Steer, Tierney, David Fox, Lappin (for Whitbread, 45), Korey Smith, Chris Martin (for Jackson, 62), Wilbraham (for Lansbury, 72).

• Referee: Phil Gibbs (West Midlands)

• Attendance: 14,859

• Goals: Burnley: Marney (33), Rodriguez (81). City: Holt (65)

• Bookings: Burnley: Carlisle (41). City: Drury (16)