Bug a worry for Norwich City’s opponents Burnley
Burnley's preparations for the weekend visit to Carrow Road started with a training ban yesterday after fears that a sickness bug would sweep through their squad.
Manager Brian Laws ordered the day off after the 1-1 draw at Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
'They have earned a day off now and thankfully we can isolate them and hopefully ensure nobody else falls ill,' he said.
Jack Cork and Andre Bikey missed that game after falling ill following the Carling Cup defeat at Aston Villa last Wednesday. Wade Elliott and Danny Fox were given the okay, despite also being affected, while defenders David Edgar and Brian Easton were ruled out of the squad altogether.
'We had six players violently sick on Wednesday and Thursday and it wiped them out,' said Laws. 'There is nothing you can do when a bug like that flies around.
'It wasn't one after another – it was all six at one time and that's why this was an amazing performance because the work they put in on an empty tank, you have to give the lads great credit.
'I was hoping not to use it as an excuse, but I had to make decisions on the team because I even had players on the bench who might have got in the team, but were worse.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 4 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 5 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 6 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 7 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
'The fear is that, after being together since the Villa game, the bug could spread.'