Bristol City 0, Norwich City 3

Striker Simeon Jackson grabbed another first team opportunity with both hands by scoring twice as Norwich City romped to victory at Ashton Gate.

Jackson fired City ahead in the 23rd minute with a clinical finish past former England goalkeeper David James, and it was 2-0 12 minutes later when Wes Hoolahan scored from the penalty spot after skipper Grant Holt's shot was handled by Robins captain Louis Carey.

Jackson scored his second and City's third in the 68th minute with another cool finish after latching on to goalkeeper John Ruddy's long kick forward, to the delight of more than 1,300 travelling fans.

City boss Paul Lambert initially named an unchanged eleven from Tuesday's 4-3 home win over Leicester, but Adam Drury suffered an injury in the pre-match warm-up and was replaced by Steven Smith.

Smith produced a solid performance on his first start for City before hobbling off five minutes from time.

Drury's exit meant Luke Daley took his place among the substitutes, his first involvement in the senior side for 10 months.

Jackson retained his place in attack with Chris Martin once again on the bench.

Most Read

Most of the early action was in the Norwich half and Crofts made one solid challenge on Adomah.

The first corner went to the home side in the ninth minute, conceded by Steven Smith, but McAllister's kick was cleared.

The Canaries forced two corners in quick succession, Stead cutting out the first at the expense of the second, which was headed clear by McAllister.

The next Bristol corner, from McAllister, was cleared as far as Rose, but he pulled his left-foot shot wide of the target.

After a quiet opening, the Canaries took the lead in the 23rd minute as Jackson scored his second goal of the season.

A mistake by McAllister handed possession to Norwich just inside the Bristol half and Crofts' pass found Jackson, who produced a marvellous finish, advancing a few yards before beating James with a rising drive.

Suddenly it was all Norwich and it could have been 2-0. Holt missed one opportunity when he shot wide as he slid in to meet Korey Smith's cross, Hoolahan tried to lob James from a distance but the 'keeper gathered easily, and Hoolahan had another effort deflected wide for a corner.

Adomah showed some good footwork to create space for a shot, but fired straight at Ruddy.

With 33 minutes gone, the Canaries were awarded a penalty when Carey blocked a left-foot shot from Holt with his hands.

Referee Graham pointed straight to the spot and Hoolahan drilled his kick low just inside James' left-hand post.

At the other end, Ward produced a timely block to stop Stead getting in a shot, but Norwich were soon going forward again, Jackson heading on to the top of the net from Korey Smith's cross.

Elliott headed over from a corner as Bristol tried to reduce the arrears, and Ruddy cut out a cross from the lively Adomah. HALF-TIME: Bristol City 0, Norwich City 2

The home side made a change at the interval with Johnson replacing McAllister.

One minute after the restart, Bristol came the closest yet to a goal when Stead teed up Johnson for a shot that struck the bar, with Ward on the goalline.

Holt fired wide from Hoolahan's cross as Norwich counter-attacked.

Determined work by Campbell-Ryce took him deep into Norwich territory and Adomah helped the ball in Stead's direction, but Ruddy dived out to foil the striker.

On the hour, Holt won a tackle on halfway and Hoolahan sent Jackson away on the left but the striker's powerful shot cleared the bar.

Jackson very nearly made it 3-0 in the 63rd minute when he moved on to Lappin's through-ball and, with defenders Caulker and Carey dithering, nipped in to nudge a low shot narrowly past the post.

But one minute later, Jackson made it 3-0 with another splendid finish. Ruddy's long kick found the striker just inside the Bristol half and, in an onside position, he raced into the area before firing a low shot just inside the post.

The hosts made another change midway through the half when Pitman replaced Stead.

Moments later, Steven Smith was injured as he made an important block to keep out Adomah's shot, but carried on. Then Russell Martin's clearance from a Campbell-Ryce cross was a little too close to his own goal for comfort.

Smith went down again after a challenge on Campbell-Ryce and this time needed treatment before resuming.

Jackson made way for Chris Martin nine minutes from time, and Lappin missed the chance to end his long goal drought when he fired over the top from the edge of the area.

Crofts was booked for a foul on Rose and as the minutes ticked away, Fox replaced Steven Smith.

Pitman missed the chance to reduce the arrears in the third minute of stoppage time when he fired over the top. RESULT: Bristol City 0, Norwich City 3