Birmingham sign Norwich City striker Kyle Lafferty on loan
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Out-of-favour Norwich City striker Kyle Lafferty has finally sealed his long-expected loan exit to a Championship club, joining Birmingham City for the remainder of the season.
The Northern Ireland international, who is due to take on Wales in a friendly with his international team-mates tonight, has scored two goals in 23 games since joining the Canaries in the summer of 2014.
Lafferty took to Twitter, using his @LaffK account, to say: 'Delighted to announce that I have joined @BCFC on loan for the remainder of the season. Excited to get started.
'Also want to thank Norwich City for giving me the opportunity to get game time ahead of the Euros and best of luck in their remaining games.'
The 28-year-old was signed from Italian side Palermo by former Norwich boss Neil Adams but has rarely featured since the arrival of Alex Neil in January 2015, spending the end of last season on loan in Turkey with Çaykur Rizespor.
Despite his lack of club action the former Rangers forward has been on a star on the international scene, scoring seven goals in nine games to fire Northern Ireland to qualification for this summer's European Championships in France.
He had made just three appearances as a substitute for Norwich this season however, coming on and scoring against West Brom in the third round of the Capital One Cup in September.
- 1 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 2 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 3 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 4 Festival-goers 'in the dark' over refunds following cancellation
- 5 Revealed: The most isolated neighbourhoods in Norfolk
- 6 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 7 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 8 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 9 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 10 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
His continued absence has been a hot topic among Canaries fans, with two goals in three games for the club's under-21s as well this season, but now looks set to get back into first-team action at Birmingham.
He had been heavily linked with Leeds United during the January transfer window and was also touted with a move to Sheffield Wednesday earlier this week but joined the Blues ahead of today's 5pm emergency loan deadline.
Gary Rowett's side currently sit ninth in the Championship table, six points adrift of the play-off places but with a game in hand.
Lafferty's loan will include any play-off matches should Birmingham reach the end-of-season knockout stage, although Norwich can recall the tall forward once 28 days of the loan spell has elapsed.
The Belfast-born attacker has scored 16 goals in 45 games in total for his country. He will wear the number 25 shirt during his spell at St Andrews.