Tettey proves a key cog in the Canaries machine during return from injury at Birmingham
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Norwich City player watch followed the fortunes of midfielder Alex Tettey on his return to action after injury during the Canaries' 2-0 win at Birmingham. Here's how his afternoon unfolded...
4 – Poor touch sees him closed down by Chiekh Ndoye and Jeremie Boga but gets the ball clear.
9 – Can't stop Boga spreading right to Jota, who cuts inside, only to see the former Norway international in the right place to block the shot on the edge of the box.
10 – Keeps attack alive after a Birmingham clearance, with Josh Murphy curling a low shot just wide.
24 – Dives in trying to stop Boga breaking after Ivo Pinto's error but the on-loan Chelsea youngster hurdles him and charges clear, before hosts waste possession.
You may also want to watch:
34 – Turns superbly in midfield to leave Boga for dust, pushes forward and get Pinto away on the right.
34 – Tracks back well to help Pinto deal with Boga after James Maddison loses possession and then clears up after Alex Pritchard tackles Lukas Jutkiewicz.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
48 – Drops deep to help out Christoph Zimmermann and combines with Pinto to get City moving forward.
52 – Annoyed with Timm Klose for poor pass which plays Zimmermann into trouble, leading to the German tripping Jacques Maghoma and getting a yellow card.
55 – Left for dust by Maghoma and relieved to see the substitute's shot his Jutkiewicz.
59 – Holds up Boga and Maddison makes a fine tackle.
64 – Nice one-two with Pinto under pressure but then tackled by Jonathan Grounds wide on the right.
69 – Reads a poor pass from Gary Gardner to clear to safety.
78 – Gets across to the right to block a Grounds shot.
80 – Beats Gardner to the ball, Pritchard tees up Tettey to shoot from the edge of the box but scuffs shot and Stockdale is able to hold.
Verdict: City's long-serving combative midfielder proved once again why he is a key cog in the machine. Turns 32 in April and if he keeps proving this important, his expiring contract will become more and more of a talking point.
Rating: 7 out of 10