Betting: It looks like a tight affair between Wigan and Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Few footballing pundits would be shocked if Norwich City's duel with Wigan Athletic tomorrow ended in stalemate.
Both meetings finished all-square last term and Wigan have never defeated the Canaries in a league match. However, the Latics are famed for embarking on their traditional, last-minute Houdini-style escape from the relegation zone by stringing together a series of improbable results. Norwich must beware.
Though the Canaries have won only one of their 15 away fixtures this term, it should be remembered that they beat Wigan 2-1 when the sides met at Carrow Road in mid-December.
Despite being armed with this positive, Norwich kick off as Stan James's 16/5 underdogs, whereas home advantage accounts for Wigan's status as Ladbrokes' even-money favourites.
Not surprisingly, however, the draw, priced at 12/5 by bet365, has been heavily backed, as has BetVictor's 18/5 odds for the match to finish as a score draw.
Prior to City's pre-Christmas victory over Wigan, only once in the pair's previous meetings have their matches been settled by more than one goal. It's a record which adds appeal to Skybet's 9/2 odds for the Canaries to enjoy a one-goal margin of victory and to bet365's 5/6 price for the game's total goal minutes to be less than 125.
In other markets, Coral chalk an attractive-looking 4/1 about City keeping a clean sheet and Paddy Power rate the chances of the game's final goal arriving after the 73rd minute as an even-money shot. Punters can also get a massive 8/1 (William Hill) against Norwich securing maximum points following a drawn first period.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 5 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 9 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 10 Flood alerts pass off peacefully along the north Norfolk coast
The Canaries are not yet assured of playing in the top flight next term and they do not want to be dragged into the relegation mire by a team with everything to play for. Punters expecting City to double their number of away victories can get 14/1 (BetVictor.com) against a 1-0 away win, while Stan James also post 14/1 about City winning 2-1.