Ben Godfrey could fly the nest at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is weighing up a loan move for Ben Godfrey if Norwich City's injury crisis eases.
Godfrey was impressive at Southampton in the midweek FA Cup exit in only his second senior start, paired alongside Robbie Brady in central midfield.
The 19-year-old is rated one of the club's brightest young prospects and Neil feels the time has come to step up his education.
'He is at the stage where if I am being honest we are looking for loan options for Ben in this window, however, because we are so finely trimmed with injuries we can't afford to let him go out,' said Neil. 'He is certainly capable of playing first team football. He had played first team football before we signed him and that is what put him on our radar and if you look at his physique he is a proper man. He is only 19 and he is a proper athlete.
'He showed playing his second game for the club at a Premier League club that it wouldn't be an issue to play in that area. He is a talented lad and he can do a job in a number of positions. I don't think centre midfield is his best position, which is why it was so pleasing to see him put in that performance. His discipline and ability to fill holes was pleasing but for me his best position is right centre back. That is where he has operated for the most part in the development side. That is where he will go on and have a career.'
Ray Grant, Sergi Canos and Glenn Middleton were all part of a youthful squad at St Mary's but Neil is hoping Jonny Howson (ankle) will be fit for the Championship visit of Wolves, whilst Alex Tettey was not risked to avoid a two-game ban. Matt Jarvis will not be in contention to face his old club after scans on a hamstring injury.
'I would like to think the injury list won't be as bad as the weekend and to be honest in a few cases it was precautionary why they missed Southampton,' said Neil. 'Wolves is our priority. Jonny is more his ankle. It certainly does not seem to be as bad as we first feared. Jarvis I don't think will make the weekend. (Steven) Whittaker, tight hamstring, pulled up in training on Monday and we hope he will be okay.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 3 Woman 'shocked' to find CCTV in Marina Centre changing room
- 4 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 5 Cromer Carnival events cancelled due to extreme heat.
- 6 Flood alerts issued along the north Norfolk coast
- 7 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 8 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 9 Investigation closed into fatal crash where car crashed into river
- 10 How region has been saved from hosepipe ban