Ben Godfrey at the double in Norwich City U23s 3-0 friendly win over FC Slovacko
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Ben Godfrey's brace helped clinch a 3-0 win for Norwich City's Under-23s against FC Slovacko to finish their Austrian tour with a 100pc record.
Dmitri Halajko's squad followed up a 5-0 win over Ferencvaros U21s with another comprehensive victory against their Czech counterparts.
Godfrey was in the perfect position to slot Ray Grant's deep free kick inside the opening quarter before crashing home a second half header to seal the win. Benny Ashley-Seal rifled a right-footed finish from a tight angle prior to the break to put Halajko's side in control.
Alex Neil was an interested spectator after returning to the SC Pinkafeld stadium 30 minutes from the club's base in Stegersbach following an earlier public training session.
Godfrey was deployed in a central midfield role alongside captain Grant after an impressive 45-minute cameo for the seniors at full-back in Wednesday's 3-1 friendly defeat to FK Dukla Prague. The ex-York prospect again underlined his versatility when he was switched to central defence after Michee Efete was later substituted following treatment to his left knee.
Louis Ramsay had a goalbound half-volley tipped over by the FK Slavacko keeper from the edge of the area in a bright start from the Canaries.
Godfrey opened the scoring in the 16th minute when he volleyed Grant's deep free kick home at the near post from a tight angle but Aston Oxborough earned a slice of luck when a point blank header cannoned off his bar midway through the opening period.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after serious crash
- 2 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 3 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 5 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 6 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 'Great relief' as vets rule out foot and mouth disease at Norfolk farm
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
Ashley-Seal made the most of the reprieve to double Norwich's lead from the angle of the six yard box. The powerful striker was only denied again in the 66th minute by a smothering block from the FC Slovacko keeper after intelligent link-up play with Glenn Middleton.
Godfrey, however, did complete his brace when he rose majestically to thump home Grant's corner.
• Norwich City U23s (starting XI): Oxborough, Ramsay, Efete (Sambou 47), Crowe, Lewis, Godfrey, Grant, McIntosh, Eaton-Collins (Jayesimi 62), Middleton, Ashley-Seal.
• Goals: Godfrey (16, 76), Ashley-Seal (38)