‘As dire as anything witnessed’ - what the nationals said about Norwich City’s defeat to Aston Villa
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
'Norwich are up to their necks in smelly stuff' - here are the national newspapers' views on Norwich City's 2-0 defeat away at Aston Villa in the Premier League.
The Daily Mail: 'In truth, this was a very poor game of football between two substandard Premier League sides. The first-half was as dire as anything witnessed in this stadium for a long while
'Norwich spent £24 million on new recruits in their desperate bid to avoid the drop, although it was hard to tell the benefit throughout this encounter.'
The Express: 'Struggling Norwich were wasteful in front of goal as Villa grafted their way to three points.'
The Sun: 'Norwich are up to their necks in smelly stuff, deep in relegation trouble, after losing five Premier games on the spin.'
You may also want to watch:
The Telegraph described Norwich as 'abysmal'. 'A performance that should give hope to the other clubs battling relegation,' it added.
The Daily Mirror: 'Rudd stupidly came rushing out for second goal which was unnecessary.'
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
The Times: 'This latest performance, which allowed Aston Villa to record their third league victory of the season, was perhaps the most damning yet as Norwich slipped into the relegation zone.'