Answers on David McNally’s exit from Norwich City set to be in short supply
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Not for the first time, a high-profile exit from Carrow Road has left us with so many questions – very few of which will be answered.
Football has perfected the confidentiality clause so the first question – why did David McNally resign? – will perhaps never be answered.
Then there is the timing of the chief executive's exit: two days before a crucial night in the club's history, when City's immediate future in the Premier League, and all that brings with it, could be decided.
Had McNally's position at the club reached a point where it was impossible for him to continue for the final two games? If so, it suggests something had gone extremely wrong.
The Saturday night tweet from his account in which it was revealed he had resigned was a surprise. Many thought his account might have been hacked.
You may also want to watch:
There followed... well, nothing. The club did not respond to requests for an explanation and it wasn't until yesterday morning that his departure was announced. In the interim, people mocked.
David McNally did a lot of good for the club: he steered it away from the 2009 debt crisis and put it on an even keel. He played a major part in promotions to the top flight. But while he received plaudits for that success, the club under his command must also be questioned over the current situation – which is unlikely.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 7 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 8 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
Does McNally's record with managerial appointments stand up to scrutiny? It's arguable.
Was there a split amongst the directors? Did he feel responsible for City's precarious position? Was he responsible for a recruitment policy which failed to yield the expected results?
Will the club miss him? Only time may tell.