Gunn stands tall to keep clean sheet at Preston and bounce back from costly Canaries errors
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Norwich City player watch followed the fortunes of Manchester City loanee Angus Gunn as the goalkeeper kept a clean sheet during a 0-0 draw at Preston. Here's how his afternoon unfolded...
2 – Alex Tettey has to play the ball backwards under pressure, Gunn tries to spray a ball left to Jamal Lewis first time but cut out by Billy Bodin and then gets down to claim a shot which deflects off Timm Klose's heels towards his near post.
8 – Poor header from Klose, Callum Robinson hooks a cross in from the right of the box and Gunn claims calmly.
10 – James Maddison hits a through-ball against Paul Gallagher, Alan Browne sends Robinson clean through the middle, Gunn beats him to the ball and then nudges him away to claim in his box under pressure after initially looking like he might be in trouble.
14 – Claims Gallagher free-kick from the left after a clumsy foul from Dennis Srbeny.
You may also want to watch:
26 – Tom Barkhuizen cuts inside Harrison Reed and Gunn has to watch carefully as Grant Hanley's header just goes over his bar on to roof of the net.
28 – Beaten by Gallagher's free-kick from the edge of the box but the ball rattles his crossbar, left with no chance.
- 1 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 2 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 3 Major boost for £100m campaign to reintroduce rail travel between two Norfolk towns
- 4 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 5 Flood alerts in place across Norfolk
- 6 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 7 Fears loss of Arcadia group could have significant impact on Norfolk high streets
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Seafront flats plan set for go ahead
- 10 How close is Norfolk to tier 1?
33 – Bodin crosses from the left and Gunn gets an important punch clear with Barkhuizen in close attendance.
36 – Brave sprawling punch from Gunn to clear a Gallagher free-kick from the left, again conceded by Srbeny, which leaves Paul Huntington needing treatment after – strong to get through a crowd of bodies.
43 – Gallagher great ball to the right, Bodin cuts on to his left with Moritz Leitner covering for Jamal Lewis at left-back and Gunn holds the low shot at his near post.
57 – Takes his time over a goal-kick as the home crowd are bouncing, turning it into jeers with a bit of wise time-wasting.
74 – North End substitute Josh Harrop leathers a low shot from 25 yards which Gunn does well to parry to safety.
83 – Klose plays a silly back pass inside the six-yard box and Gunn can't keep the ball in play.
Verdict: Protected well by his defence on the whole but some vital work in the first half, particularly in the air to punch clear. First clean sheet in nine games will help to boost confidence after a couple of costly errors recently.
Rating: 7 out of 10