Alex Neil takes his Norwich City squad on Wembley scouting mission
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil and Norwich City's first team squad have visited Wembley as part of the Scot's meticulous planning for next week's Championship play-off final against Middlesbrough.
The Canaries have spent two days training at a north London base before returning to Norfolk, and Neil's troops took in the home of football to familiarise themselves with their surroundings ahead of facing the Teessiders for a place in the Premier League on Bank Holiday Monday.
'It is important they are not overawed when they go there on Monday if it was the first time for some of them,' he said. 'They have seen the stadium, they have been in the changing room where they will get changed, just so they know what is coming. We took them down to familiarise themselves with the surroundings.
'It was my first time as well and it is something else. It is a top quality stadium. For me, however, it is about the 11 on the pitch doing the job. The crowd and the rest will be background noise. We've come away for a couple of days and then it will be back to Norwich and focused on the job and normal training.'
Neil, speaking to the club's official Youtube channel, reiterated this is a rare opportunity his players must grasp.
You may also want to watch:
'It is one of the highlights of your career,' he said. 'I keep reminding the players they may never get this opportunity again and for a lot of them it will be their first time. You want to make sure it is a good experience and that only comes if you win.
'I don't think about the hype at all. It is important the fans get excited by occasions like these because they don't come around all that often. I believe it is 30 years since Norwich have been at Wembley so rightly so they should be getting themselves excited and vocal about this moment. For me, we are solely focused on the job and making sure we come up with the best game plan we can.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'