Alex Neil sacked by Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil has been dismissed by Norwich City.
The Canaries released a statement on Friday evening just hours after Neil had made it clear he wanted to continue in the post at Carrow Road and plot a summer rebuilding job.
Alan Irvine has been placed in temporary charge for Saturday's Championship game against Blackburn.
The statement read: 'Norwich City can confirm manager Alex Neil's contract has been terminated with immediate effect.
'The board has taken the tough but unanimous decision, believing it is in the best interests of the club for a new manager to be in place through a crucial summer transfer window and into next season.
'The directors would like to place on record their sincere gratitude to Alex for all of his hard work and for the fantastic achievement of guiding us to the Premier League in 2015, via a memorable play-off final success against Middlesbrough at Wembley.
You may also want to watch:
'Through tough seasons last year in the Premier League and this year in the Championship, Alex has always given his all to the club and we wish him every success in his future career.
'First team coach Alan Irvine will take charge of the team for tomorrow's Sky Bet Championship game against Blackburn Rovers at Carrow Road.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 8 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
'As has been widely reported the board has been conducting a thorough review of the structure of the club. An announcement about the new structure will be made next week.
'The club will not be commenting further at this time, with everyone's focus on supporting Alan Irvine and the team ahead of tomorrow's game.'