Alex Neil knows he is a surprise choice at Norwich City
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Alex Neil knows he will have to win over the doubters at Norwich City.
The 33-year-old is in Norfolk on Friday to finalise a move after the Canaries agreed compensation with his Scottish club.
Neil is the surprise choice of the City board, and the former Barnsley and Mansfield midfielder accepts he has to prove himself if he does take over at Carrow Road.
'Of course, I'm not silly,' he said. 'I know people will be saying, 'Who is this wee guy? Who does he think he is?' That's exactly how it will be approached but my job is to make sure, first and foremost, I get the respect of people as I've done here and throughout my career. If you treat people properly, hopefully you'll get that in return.'
Neil revealed he was watching Hamilton's Under-20s in action earlier this week alongside vice-chairman, Ronnie MacDonald, when Norwich made their initial move.
You may also want to watch:
'As the fourth goal went in, Ronnie got a phone call. He informed me that Norwich were on the phone and were looking to speak with me. It came as a huge surprise,' said Neil. 'I was preparing myself for the half-time team talk and it was sprung upon me. It was a big surprise. It's hugely flattering to hear anyone is interested in you.
'It's going to be a difficult task if I go down but, as a player, I never shirked anything. I lead from the front and I've been the same as a manager at Hamilton. It's a great opportunity, to go and manage in the English Championship, but I'm Hamilton manager at the moment. As far as I am concerned nothing has been signed with Norwich City or finalised on my part. All that has happened is the two clubs have agreed compensation but there is still work to be done with Norwich.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
'I have spoken to Norwich, but there are still a few bits and bobs that have to be sorted out.'